Louis Payette is a partner who has specialized in the areas of secured transactions, structured financing, syndicated loans, trusts, and the implementation of securitization programs for pools of loans and receivables.
Mr. Payette has often acted as special advisor in the drafting of new legislation or amendments to existing legislation governing secured transactions in Canada and abroad. He has also been called upon to serve as expert witness in litigation involving Québec law outside Québec.
Since 1990, Mr. Payette has been a member of the Secured transactions committee of the Barreau du Québec. He was asked by the Barreau du Québec to create proficiency courses on this subject for judges and legal practitioners in Québec in connection with the coming into force of the Québec Civil Code in 1994.
The material prepared for those courses were later reworked into a book published by Les Éditions Yvon Blais Inc. (Thomson Reuters Canada Ltd.). Each of the first two editions of that book was awarded the Foundation for Legal Research’s Walter Owen Book Prize, which was designed “to recognize excellent legal writing and reward outstanding new contributions to Canadian legal literature that enhance the quality of legal research in this country." Les sûretés réelles dans le Code civil du Québec (5th edition to be published soon) is now a reference work that has been quoted hundreds of times by courts at all levels sitting in Québec.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of Banking and Finance Law , since 2006
- The Canadian Legal LEXPERT® Directory in the area of Banking Law, since 2009
- Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada” of Lexpert in the area of Banking Law, 2013
- Appointed Advocates Emeritus (Ad. E.) by the Barreau du Québec, 2008
- Canadian Bar Association's Paul-André Crépeau Medal to the advancement of the international aspects of private and commercial law in Canada, 2007
- D. Phil (Oxon), Oxford University, 1971
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1962