Areas of practice
Nicolas Gagnon specializes in construction law and surety law. He counsels public and private sector clients, professional services firms and contractors as well as surety companies at every stage of construction projects. He advises clients with respect to the public bidding and procurement process, and is involved in the drafting of contract documents and the management of the work and any claims resulting therefrom. He also counsels syndicates of co-owners in matters dealing with divided co-ownership of immovables. Mr. Gagnon regularly represents these parties before civil and arbitration tribunals.
Mr. Gagnon is the co-author of the national reference work Scott & Reynolds on Surety Bonds dealing with surety issues in civil law. He is often a guest speaker on issues regarding construction law and also teaches various legal training courses to contractors on behalf of organizations related to the Quebec construction industry.
Mr. Gagnon is listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2017 in the field of Construction Law since 2011. He is also listed in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada directory as a leading practitioner in the field of Construction Law since 2006. In addition, he has been named Lawyer of the Year in Montréal for 2015 by Best Lawyers in the field of Construction Law. He joined the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers in January 2015.
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Canadian Bar Association's Construction Law Section
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Surety Association of Canada
- Counsel for the Quebec division of the Surety Association of Canada
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1989
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1990
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
Publications by Nicolas Gagnon
- Nicolas Gagnon
News/Press release by Nicolas Gagnon
- René Branchaud , Louis Charette , Marie Cossette , Pierre Denis , Michel Desrosiers , Norman A. Dionne , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Benjamin David Gross , Josiane L'Heureux , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , François Parent , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Sébastien Vézina