LAVERY IS ALSO...
Bernard Larocque's practice is focused on civil litigation, including libel, insurance law, professional liability and commercial litigation. He frequently appears before the courts.
He is a regular speaker on various subjects, including insurance law, liability, and civil procedure. He is also a certified trainer for the Damage Insurance Institute of Quebec.
Mr. Larocque is also listed in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading practitioner in the fields of Class Action Litigation and Insurance Law.
- Represented an international engineering consulting firm in a billion dollar class action regarding contaminated soils.
- Represented a major law firm in professional liability proceedings regarding a distribution of securities to the public.
- Represented several insurance companies in litigation relating to tens of millions of dollars in damages as a result of floodings occurring in several municipalities.
- Represented a major Crown Corporation in litigation involving several millions of dollars against the manufacturer of sophisticated machinery.
- Acted as plaintiff or defence counsel on behalf of many media businesses in the context of libel litigation.
- Les montants de rétention « self-insured retention » : quelle est leur étendue en droit civil québécois ? [Self insured retention amounts: what is their scope in civil law?], Louis Charette and Bernard Larocque, Développements récents en droit des assurances, Barreau du Québec, Éditions Yvon Blais, vol. 337.
- The Court of Appeal authorizes an insurer to institute a subrogatory recourse as a preventive measure, In Fact and In Law, Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, June 2009.
- Liability Insurance and Reconstituted Families: Where Does the Court of Appeal Stand, In Fact and In Law, Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin and Bernard Larocque, December 2009.
- The Chicken, the Egg, the Producer - the Quebec Court of Appeal Knows Which Came First!, Bernard Larocque, In Fact and In Law, June 2008.
- Les montants de rétention « self-insured retention » : quelle est leur étendue en droit civil québécois ?, Louis Charette and Bernard Larocque Conference on Recent Developments in Insurance Law, Montreal, May 27, 2011.
- Les clauses contractuelles essentielles de l’industrie de la protection contre l’incendie [The essential contractual clauses of the fire protection industry], Bernard Larocque and Louis Charette, Canadian Fire Alarm Associatione (CFAA), Montreal, February 3, 2011.
- Déclaration initiale de risque : le questionnaire scruté à la loupe [Initial declaration of risk: the questionnaire is scrutinized], Martin Pichette and Bernard Larocque, The Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association (CICMA), October 20, 2010.
- Camp d’entraînement pour les avocats de litige [Training camp for litigators], Odette Jobin-Laberge and Bernard Larocque, The Canadian Institute, October 19, 2010.
- Les clauses d’assurance et de limitation de responsabilité dans les baux commerciaux [The insurance and limitation of liability clauses in commercial leases], Lavery symposium, Bernard Larocque and Louis Charette, March 18, 2010.
- Revue de la jurisprudence 2009 en droit des assurances [Review of the 2009 case law respecting insurance], The Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association, Bernard Larocque, February 17, 2010.
- Rétrospective de la jurisprudence 2009 en droit des assurances [Retrospective of the 2009 case law respecting insurance], Lavery, Bernard Larocque and Jean Bélanger, January 26 and 27, 2010.
- Déclaration initiale de risque : le questionnaire scruté à la loupe, RBC Insurance, Bernard Larocque and Jonathan Lacoste-Jobin, January 13, 2010.
- La responsabilité du fabricant et du vendeur [Product Liability], Bernard Larocque, Louis Charette and Dina Raphaël, Lavery training, October 22, 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Board of directors (Member and President) of GEIPSI (community organization) (2002-2009)
- Member of the Board of directors of ProBono Québec (2010-2011)
- Treasurer of ProBono Québec (2011-)
- Member of the Approval and Referral Committee of ProBono Québec (2009 -)
- Member of the Board of directors of Théâtre I.N.K. (2009 -2012)
- Member of the task force on the Best Practices Guide of the Quebec Bar (2011-2012)
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Information and Privacy Law
Need to Know - Overlapping Insurance Policies: The Court of Appeal of Ontario toes the line!
LAVERY AT A GLANCE
An independent law firm, offering the full range of legal services to business. More than 200 lawyers in Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières and Ottawa. Member of the World Services Group, an international network of service firms with offices in more than 115 countries.