Geneviève Chamberland practises mainly in the areas of civil litigation and labour law. She works closely with various insurers, business owners and institutions in the education, health and social services sectors on matters relating to civil and professional liability, civil litigation, labour law, occupational health and safety, access to information and privacy.
Over the years, she has mainly focused her practice on civil liability and labour relations, acting in this regard before all ordinary courts of law, as well as arbitral tribunals, the Administrative Labour Tribunal and the Commission d’accès à l’information.
Social involvement in very important to Ms. Chamberland and, over the years, she has sat on the boards of directors of several professional associations and non-profit organizations devoted to youth, the arts, health and the fight against poverty.
Ms. Chamberland has been teaching the Liability and Labour Law courses at the École du Barreau du Québec since 2017. She has also taught Legal Methodology and Documentary Research 1 and 2 at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Sherbrooke and is currently supervising students participating in the Pierre-Basile-Mignault Moot Court Competition.
Ms. Chamberland joined Lavery in 2014, after practising for more than five years at a national law firm.
- Representation of several notaries, lawyers and real estate brokers as defendants in professional liability matters involving many complex legal issues in all areas of civil law and before all ordinary courts of law.
- Representation of health institutions in matters of labour law, disciplinary law, human rights, health law, access to information and hospital civil liability.
- Representation of employers in various areas of labour law: termination of employment, discipline, health and safety, grievance arbitration, psychological harassment, unfair competition, discrimination and accommodation.
- Representation of numerous insurers and contractors as defendants in civil liability actions for poor workmanship, latent defects, manufacturing defects and bodily injury.
- Representation of financial institutions and various businesses in matters of confidentiality and protection of personal information.
- Representation of universities and educational institutions in civil liability suits for bodily injury and material damage.
- Representation of heirs in inheritance disputes.
- Drafting of numerous complex legal opinions in matters of civil liability and labour law.
Publications and lectures
- “Développements récents en droit du travail,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2019.
- “#EtMaintenant - Aux frontières des vies privées et professionnelles: Technologie, harcèlement, réputation et déontologie,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2018.
- “Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la garantie légale de qualité,” presentation to real estate brokers in the Sherbrooke region, April and May 2018.
- “Les incontournables d'une fin d'emploi réussie,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, June 2017.
- “Déontologie - Médias sociaux: vous n’êtes pas à la maison!”, presentation to students of the École du Barreau, 2016 and 2017.
- “Le témoignage d’expert : conseils pratiques,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, September 2016.
- “Trop bien connaître ses employés ? La collecte et l'utilisation de renseignements personnels en milieu de travail,” Lavery’s annual labour and employment law conference, October 2015.
- “CSST – Imputation, partage et transfert, comment y voir plus clair ?”, client seminar on labour and employment law and human rights, June 2013.
- “Développements récents en droit locatif,” presentation to landlord members of CORPIQ, April 2013.
- “Top secret – La protection des renseignements personnels, que devez-vous savoir de plus ?”, client seminar on labour and employment law and human rights, May 2012.
- “Les ordonnances de garde et de soins: aspects pratiques,” annual presentation to psychiatrists at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke, 2010 to 2013.
- Dean’s Award of the Faculty of Law of the Université de Sherbrooke, 2004-2005 and 2005-2006
- Guy-R. Landry Award in 2006 presented to the student with the top mark in the Corporate Law I, Corporate Law II and Securities Law courses
- McCarthy Tétrault Scholarship in 2007, awarded to a student based on academic excellence, personality and involvement in university life
- Faculty Engagement Award from the Faculty of Law, presented in recognition of her many volunteer engagements, most significantly her participation in the Legal Aid clinic for an English-language university where she was a legal consultant, as well as her role as founder of the Sherbrooke chapter of Pro Bono Students Canada and coordinator for the 2006-2007 academic year
- Ambassador in 2015 for the Red Dress Gala, organized by the Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Intensive seven-day seminar on oral advocacy techniques, Barreau du Québec, 2016
- Master's degree in Common Law and Transnational Law, Université de Sherbrooke, 2007
- Bachelor of Laws, Université de Sherbrooke, 2006