Charles-Hugo is a lawyer in the Business Law group and a member of the firm’s tax law team.
In the course of his practice, Charles-Hugo participates in planning, analyzing and implementing tax structures and strategies as part of major commercial transactions, both in Canada and abroad.
He is involved in mergers and acquisitions, financing efforts, purchase and sale transactions and corporate reorganizations, among others. He also participates in estate planning and trust creation and is called upon to assist and represent clients in the resolution of disputes with tax authorities.
Prior to joining Lavery, Charles-Hugo was a legal advisor in the capital markets and wealth management team of a major Canadian financial institution, where he worked with various business units, both for institutional clients in the capital markets and in securities brokerage and custody activities.
He also advised private pension funds on the regulatory and legal implications of their investments in various Canadian and international private equity and venture capital funds.
- Canadian Finalist – Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition 2018:
- Francophone Oralist, 1st place, Applicant Memorandum, 1st place, and Combined Memorandum in Canada, 2nd place
- Dean’s Honour List, University of Ottawa
- Scholarship for Academic Excellence, University of Ottawa
- LL. M. Taxation, HEC Montréal, 2022
- LL.L., Cum Laude, University of Ottawa, 2018
- Certificate in Chinese Law, China University of Political Science and Law, 2016
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Young member (student affiliate), Ordre des Administrateurs Agréés du Québec (Adm.A.)
- Member, Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF)
- Member, Young Canadians in Finance (YCIF)