Areas of practice
Geneviève Chamberland practises mainly in the areas of civil litigation and labour law. She works closely with various insurers, entrepreneurs and health and social services institutions within the scope of cases relating to professional liability, civil litigation, labour law, health and safety as well as access to information.
Over the years, she has mainly focused her practice on civil liability and labour relations, and worked in this capacity before all common law courts, arbitration tribunals, the Tribunal administratif du travail and the Commission d’accès à l’information.
During her studies, Ms. Chamberland completed an internship with a judge of the Superior Court of Québec and taught a course on research skills. She is the recipient of several awards including the Prix du doyen (the Dean's award) in 2005 (awarded for outstanding academic record), the Guy-R. Landry award in 2006 (awarded to the student with the best results in Business Law I, Business Law II and Security Interest Law), the McCarthy Tétrault scholarship in 2007 (awarded to students based on their excellent academic record, personality and involvement in academia) and the Faculty commitment award from her Faculty of Law. This award was presented to her for her numerous volunteering commitments, the most important of which was her participation in founding the legal clinic at Bishop's University and having served there as a legal consultant, as well as for opening the Sherbrooke chapter of Pro Bono Students Canada and serving as its coordinator for the 2006-2007 academic year.
Ms. Chamberland attaches great importance to social involvement, serving on the board of several professional associations and non-profit organizations that contribute to the arts, health and the youth.
Ms. Chamberland joined Lavery in 2014, after practising for more than five years in another major law firm.
- Graduate Degree in Common Law and Transnational Law, Université de Sherbrooke, 2007
- LL.B., Université de Sherbrooke, 2006
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 2008
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Association du Jeune Barreau du district de Saint-François (the Young Bar of the District of Saint-François)
- Jeune Chambre de Commerce de Sherbrooke (the Young Chamber of Commence of Sherbrooke)
- Chambre de commerce de Sherbrooke (the Chamber of Commerce of Sherbrooke)
- Association des Professionnels en Assurance de l’Estrie (the Insurance Professionals Association of Estrie)
Publications by Geneviève Chamberland
- Geneviève Chamberland and Jordy Philippe Bernier