Areas of practice
Jean Martel practises mainly in the field of financial law — securities, corporate financing, regulation and governance of financial institutions, financial services and securities markets — on the national and international scenes. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Martel held several strategic positions.
From 1981 to 1988, he headed the legal services department of the Ministère des Finances du Québec, where he worked on the loans contracted by Quebec on world markets and developed his expertise in bank financing and bonds.
As Assistant Deputy Minister of Finance for the Province of Quebec from 1988 to 1994, Mr. Martel was responsible for the process of developing public policy and legislation pertaining to financial institutions, market intermediation, financial services and labor-sponsored investment funds.
He was the Chairman and CEO of the Quebec Securities Commission from 1995 to 1999. He played an active role in the work of the Canadian Securities Administrators forum and the Technical Committee of the International Organization of Securities Commissions, a supranational standard-setting organization of which he was the Vice-Chair in 1998-99.
Professional and community activities
- Member of the Board of directors of the Business Development Bank of Canada
- Member of the Board of directors of TMX Group Inc.
- Member of the Board of directors of TSX Inc. (Toronto Stock Exchange)
- Member of the Board of directors of the TSX Venture Exchange
- Member of the Board of directors of the Bourse de Montréal
- Chair of the Independent Review Committee of the Barreau du Québec investment funds
- Chair of the Rules and Policies Committee of the Bourse de Montréal, the Canadian market for derivatives
- Former member of the Board of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada
- Former member of the Board of Market Regulation Services Inc
- Former member of the Board of State Street Global Advisors, Ltd.
- Former member of the Board of the Québec Deposit Insurance Board
- Former member of the Board of the Motor Vehicle Insurers Group
- Best Lawyers in Canada in the fields of Corporate Governance Practice and Private Funds Law, 2018
- Named Advocatus Emeritus (Ad. E.), 2010
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1975
- Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1976
- Appointed Advocatus Emeritus (Ad. E.) in 2010
Publications by Jean Martel
- Jean Martel and Jean-Philippe Joyal
News/Press release by Jean Martel
- Pierre-L. Baribeau , Josianne Beaudry , René Branchaud , Jules Brière , Richard Burgos , Marie-Claude Cantin , Louis Charette , Eugene Czolij , Pierre Denis , Norman A. Dionne , Raymond Doray , Louis-Martin Dubé , Nicolas Gagnon , Michel Gélinas , Caroline Harnois , Jean Hébert , Richard A. Hinse , Pierre Marc Johnson , Nadine Landry , Bernard Larocque , Guy Lavoie , Jean Legault , Guy Lemay , Jean Martel , Patrick A. Molinari , Philip Nolan , Luc Pariseau , Jacques Paul-Hus , Louis Payette , Elisabeth Pinard , Sylvain Poirier , François Renaud , Marc Rochefort , Ian Rose , Raphaël H. Schachter , Jean-Yves Simard , Gerald Stotland , Philippe Tremblay , Jean-Philippe Turgeon , André Vautour and Yanick Vlasak