Areas of practice
Johanne Caschetto has been a paralegal since 1988 and has acquired a strong background in litigation in the areas of hospital liability, health law, and insurance law.
A litigation paralegal and medical analyst, she helps collect, organize, review, and summarize medical and hospital records, participates in investigations in hospital environments, and meets with the parties involved. She also searches for and identifies the necessary experts, provides them with well-organized documentation, and supports them in every step leading to the expert report to be filed with the Court.
Ms. Caschetto assists lawyers and is an integral part of the team. She is involved in every step of a case, from collecting relevant information and documents to the proceedings. Among other things, she prepares draft reports and pleadings, and summarizes transcripts of examinations.
As part of her duties respecting the management and coordination of class actions and her participation in many trials and coroner inquests, Ms. Caschetto has had the opportunity to collaborate with joint defence groups, providing them with the documentation to support motions and pleadings and supervising the preparation and exchange of initial information between defendants and plaintiffs. She has participated in the following major class actions:
- Collectif de Défense des droits de la Montérégie (C.D.D.M.) and Lise Brouard v. Centre Hospitalier du Suroît du Centre de Santé et des Services Sociaux du Sûroit et al. – S.C. judicial district of Beauharnois: 760-06-000001-087;
- Marie-Paule Spieser v. Attorney General of Canada and GD-OTS Canada Inc. – SNC Technologies Inc. and Société Immobilière Valcartier Inc.; (Re: Contamination groundwater in the town of Shannon) – which required finding experts in epidemiology - toxicology, chemistry, environmental toxicology, oncology, hemato-oncology, gastroenterology (and real time remote support) – S.C.Q. : 200-06-000038-037;
- Michael Melly v. Toyota Canada Inc. et al. S.C.M. 500-06-000499-109;
- Frank Tremblay v. Les Rédemptoristes et al. S.C.Q.: 200-06-000123-102;
- Lise Deguise et al. v Carrière B & B Inc., Compagnie d’assurances Chartis du Canada et al. S.C. judicial district of Trois-Rivières: 400-17-002016-091.
Ms. Caschetto's knowledge of cutting edge software such as Summation and Adobe Acrobat allows her to provide technological support to lawyers in the processing and electronic management of evidence in litigation requiring a large volume of documents so as to make the evidence readily available throughout the litigation and hearings process.
Ms. Caschetto has been with Lavery since 1979, first as a legal assistant and then, for the last 27 years (1988 à 2015), as a paralegal. As with all her colleagues, her commitment to both the firm and its clients are invaluable.
- In 1988, at the beginning of her practice, created an in-house experts database of more than 1,500 health professionals, which she still maintains
- In April 2006, participated in the prestigious American Bar Association Techshow in Chicago. Subsequently worked on the project to standardize the procedures of the health law team, saw to the implementation of its computer program, and participated in the in-house training of the team. Remains the team's resource person for computer matters
- In November 2011 and January 2012, in response to an access to information request regarding expropriation sent to Via Rail Canada Inc., supervised a team of four (4) law students in the analysis, management, and scanning of more than 16,500 pages of documents covering more than a decade
Professional and community activities
- Various significant sports events held at Mont Tremblant, including: 24 H of Tremblant, Mountain Bike Cup (Canada Cup and Québec Cup) and Grand Prix des couleurs
- Delegate responsible for the management of a hundred volunteers at the Mont-Gabriel Freestyle Skiing World Cup (January 2006) – Schedule, food, etc.
- Five years as Info-guide de la montagne, Mont-Tremblant Ski Resort, providing a unique experience to new visitors
- Instigator of various “Italian” lunches for the Centraide/United Way campaign at Lavery (three consecutive years) and creation/sale of a recipe book covering the specialties served
- Diploma in paralegal studies, Collège Ahuntsic (to be completed)
- First-aid training – February 2016
- Certificate in general secretarial work, 1976
Boards and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Operational Design Committee for the implementation of a document management system for Lavery, de Billy